Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Good News and Bad News in the Market

Hello Readers!  We have a little bit to talk about today in the trending of the market.  There is some good and there is some bad we will talk about today.

First the Good:  The market really took a run at getting to $17,000 in the past week.  It fell just short and started to take a turn downward due to some bad report from some major key stocks in the market like McDonalds and Wal-Mart who failed to meet quarterly profit projections.  Also a little bad news on job growth and unemployment figures.  So the market has back off and put ups several losses in the last several days or so, backing down from that $17,000 mark.  Don't worry though.  We are NOT going to have a crash anytime soon.  A little bad new always makes the market fall a little, mainly due to over reaction.

Good solid Mutual Funds and Stocks are holding their own and seeing very little to any losses at all.  However, it the risker Stocks and Mutual funds you need to watch more closely.  No, I am not sayings to sell them off.  But I am also saying not to buy or be very careful of your buys right.  This is a small and probably short lived period to hold and wait until the downward trend in the market starts to get a little relief.  Yes, the relief is coming in the current trend and when it does you need to be ready to buy if you are want to get some cheaper prices.  But be patient.  Keep close watch on the Stock Market and the stocks in your portfolio.  If you are ready to make a move and buy make sure you are tracking what is happening daily so you don't miss out on your best opportunities.

Those of you following my blog I have an update on Apple (AAPL).  I felt this was a good buy to get in on when they announced a 7:1 stock split.  It met all my criteria to buy a splitting stock and I shared that information with you.  Since my personal purchase prior to the split and since the split, Apple is up 17% for me.  A nice chunk of change for the pocket.  However, for those jumping on the wagon with Apple I suggest HOLDING for now.  I see more profit in the stock in the near future.  Even up 17% it is still not time to take your money and run.

Lets talk about Stock Splits a second.  If your stock holding consist of only Individual Stocks that are going to split you're doing it wrong and not keeping a balance in your Individual Stocks Holdings!  I have a good mix of Individual Stocks not splitting, but I am going to jump on the band wagon when I feel I see a good opportunity with a stock that is going to split...Just like Apple. 

I have found a good split I am jumping on that meets all my criteria that I will share with you.  This is the Middleby Corp. (MIDD)  I like that it is a global company and manufacturing in a must have kitten appliances for professional kittens, mainly restaurant kittens but also manufacture home appliances as well, hitting both markets on a global scale.  It is going to split at 3:1 and meets all my criteria for a good stock split opportunity.  I know this is short notice, but if you want in on this split you need to buy before June 16, 2014.

Lets look at another stock split coming up I would NOT recommend.  Alaska Air Group (ALK).  This stock is going to split at 2:1.  It will right at it's 52 week low.  Too high of risk for me.  Also I am not in love the industry.  The are a regional airline that take people to the back woods and hard to reach places of Alaska and deliver cargo to such places.  This is far from an attractive buy for me to get on.  I suggest you let splits like this pass on by too and don't give a thought of buying and getting in on.

The so called "Experts"  say the market is going to hold steady and go up until the end of summer.  I tend to agree, but I see some ups and downs in the market along the way just like we have seen thus far this year.  Don't hold your breath for an excellent year overall like we did last year in 2013.




Disclaimer: Make sure to review any information found on this blog site with your personal financial advisor before making any decisions. I am providing general information and not financial advise. I am not a licensed stockbroker or financial advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment